Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Un-Sustainability. Who's fault is it really?

So, it's been a while since my last post (November 2008) I don't know if this blog even gets read. Anyways I'm writing now because I have nothing to do, and have realized something. I am not smart. I have realized this by conversing with co-workers and peers, and more, and more I am finding I really only hear what I want to hear. Usually if I'm in a debate or discussion it really helps to take a step back and write some of my thoughts down. In doing so I can bring up a good point or clarifying question, but if forced to think and speak on my head I can't put my thoughts together so well. What I am going to do is try to organize some things that have been on my mind.

While learning about sustainability and stuff that seems to be on every new-age-hippie's mind I have come back to my previous position on the issue. THERE ARE TO MANY PEOPLE. In short, environmentalists state that if communities used gardens and the like instead of going to the grocery store and contributing to big companies and the growing carbon footprint of the agricultural world, we can eventually become sustainable. The main problem with this "solution" is that the human population is only sustained by the huge business that is agriculture. The human population is so huge now that huge quantities of food is needed. And only naturally companies are going to try to increase their products for as little money as possible while losing the least amount possible. They do this by using (blank)icides (pesticides and herbicides) and GMO's (genetically modified organisms). By killing pests and modifying plants "farmers" can maximize product (and profit) while minimizing loss. This is the business model of all businesses.
So who really is to blame? The companies? For trying to keep up with the population which is growing more unsustainable literally every minute? Or ourselves for so stupidly increasing our own numbers while we bitch and whine about what the state of the world is.

No comments: